Happiness is Not a Fish that You Can Catch

Monday, June 26, 2006

Just what the doctor ordered.

After an emotionally draining few days (see 2 posts previous), the weekend arrived and things started to look up. With friday's abbreviated funk band rehearsal, I invited the players to come over to my place for foosball (which recently made its way back to my home) and drinks. Before leaving for rehearsal earlier in the evening, Marie came by and we made a large batch of red wine strawberry blueberry sangria. Since it was the first time either of us had attempted to make this particular drink, we weren't sure how well it would turn out and instead of actually measuring the ingredients, we just decided to pour and chop until we filled the bowl. Turns out our strategy worked just fine - by the time we got back to my place, the giant bowl of sangria had simmered quite nicely. Delicious!



Needless to say we didn't play much foosball...drinking became the sport of the evening. Although a couple of the guys left somewhat early, the rest of us partied until about 4am. Now, you may be wondering what sort of antics ensue when a bunch of musicians get together and drink. Although I can't fully recall all the events of the night, I can tell you that for a good 45 mintues we broke out in song and harmonized to such classics as "Lean on Me", and "When the Night Feels my Song". Good thing I had my camera on hand to make brief videos of the spontaneous concert...or not so good. Whomever thinks musicians can still sing drunk - you are wrong! (unless you're a seasoned professional like so many of the now-deceased greats...) I thought about posting one of the videos here, but we decided that only those of us actually present that night should get to view them. Sorry! But I will post one of the fun pics taken that night:



If you can believe it, Marie and I drank almost the entire bowl ourselves! Nicely done, Marie!

The downside of being a partying musician.....being extremely hungover for the 3 hour soundcheck that we had next day. Although we spent a good portion of saturday laughing at our behaviour from the previous evening, we were definitely hurtin' a bit - an 11 piece funk band blasting Tower of Power's "There's Only So Much Oil in the Ground" in a large barn is a tad hard to take after a night of heaving drinking. Don't get me wrong - it was well worth it, and by the time the gig itself came around (about 11:30 at night), we were almost fully recovered and ready to funk out! The gig was a good time, and it was pretty fun watching all the drunk audience member dance and do beer bongs.

Sunday I spent the day moving all my stuff from my student room into storage - I've decided to move back home for July and August a) because my lease is up at the end of the month and I don't have a place to go, and b) with the money I saw I can do lots of shopping!!! yay!

So all in all I'm feeling much better. Still not fully there, obviously, but on my way. And moving back home won't be too bad - I already have lots of plans to visit with friends I haven't seen in a while so I'm actually looking forward to it. :)
Oh ya, and Italy won their game today! Great way to cap off the weekend!
Time for bed now, buona notte

1 Comments:

At 3:13 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun :D Gotta love the video option on digital cameras these days!

And I think moving back home for a few months is probably a good idea, if anything it will take some pressure off you for a bit. Glad to hear you're feeling better, keep your chin up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home